While the original Star Wars episodes broke the bank in terms of crafting a sci-fi epic out of a sword and sorcery saga that would forever remain in the hearts of Jedi fans, a seldom seen Christmas Special lives in infamy. Christmas Specials from the 70’s and early 80’s were usually tongue-and-cheek camp, but this particular Special refuses to pass on. The force in this one is strong!
The primary reason for the Special’s longevity was that it marked the first appearance of Boba Fett. Thus, with the rise of internet sites like Wikipedia and the easily accessible information from search engines, it was only a matter of time before the Special from 1978 resurfaced. Fans and curious cinephiles who were not yet born wanted to see Fett’s debut.
Unfortunately, once the Star Wars Holiday Special is viewed the complaints and shock abound. Poorly filmed segments and a cast that doesn’t get it show what can happen when great characters fall into the wrong hands. The Special also marks one of George Lucas’s sole regrets. He was quoted as saying that he wanted to track down every copy and take a hammer to it.
Old VHS and BETA cassette copies can be found on YouTube. We have posted the first two parts below so that you can partake in the anniversary.
- Boba Fett Mythos Statue now available (lightsaberhilt.wordpress.com)
- 35 Years Ago Tonight: The Long Lamented “Star Wars Holiday Special” (outsidethebeltway.com)
- First ‘Star Wars Episode 7′ Pre-Production Photo Released, Features R2-D2 (variety.com)
- Top 10 Stupidest ‘Star Wars’ Merchandise (houseofgeekery.com)
- ‘Star Wars Pinball 2’ Review – The Tilt is Strong With This One (toucharcade.com)
- Boba Fett (10spa05.wordpress.com)
- Star Wars Shooting Target Prints (coolmaterial.com)
- Top 10 Examples of Star Wars On TV (toptenz.net)
- Happy World Wide Wookiee Life Day! (dead-logic.blogspot.com)